Tuesday, May 3, 2011

gratitude is the best attitude!



i walked into work one day exclaiming "GRATITUDE IS THE BEST ATTITUDE!" to my clients, all people who used to liveBold on the streets and currently have little to look forward to in life. with a big grin on my face and my arms in the air (i was also probably dancing around them as i said this) they looked at me like i had ten heads. i could hear the whispers "what is this white girl preaching about NOW?"



but it's true. a belief i stand strongly by. and my current focus is working with my clients to teach them how to express gratitude, for what little or nothing they have in their lives.

for some of us, we're lucky. we have an abundant life filled with so many blessings. sometimes i want to cry when i look around at my supportive friends, my loving family, some extremely talented + patient teachers, my quaint apartment and my beautiful feline children. i am SO lucky. i have had a rocky life and am so thankful to have turned into the blossoming woman that i am today. i bow to the family and teachers who have helped guide me, challenge me and hold my hand on this journey.



a few years ago, i was helping run a retreat for teens that was focused on gratitude. we took the teens to the lake and asked them to find a rock that resonated to them - which soon became their gratitude rock. to this day, many months days and years later, i keep this gratitude rock in my coat pocket, and everytime i touch it, i name three things i am thankful for that day. my rule: i can never repeat something in the same day. if i switch coats, my rock comes with me. in summer i keep it in a bag.



a simple exercise like this allows us to take a few minutes in our hectic lives to express that gratitude and take a moment to reflect on what we are truly thankful for.

today, what are you thankful for? how do you express gratitude?


(i am taking the time to be thankful for: learning self love, sunshine, fresh strawberries, caring co-workers, a healing hamstring & a peaceful home + mind).


love & light,

m XO

No comments:

Post a Comment