Monday, April 18, 2011

how do you know?

i have been working in yoga studios for about a year and a half now. i have a strong knowledge of what level class most students are prepared for, i know mindbody like the back of my hand, i calm first-time students nerves and i always get asked "so, when are you going to teach here?"

a new teacher at my yoga hOMe asked me on monday evening if i was a teacher. i sighed. no. i explained that i am waiting for that moment to put myself through teacher training. she told me she felt the same way ~ she wasn't confident in her practice and threw herself into taking classes 5 times a week, sometimes twice a day.

wait, what?!

i am going through that phase right now. not confident with where i stand in my practice. i still struggle in inversions (always feeling safe against a wall). my hip always sticks out in warrior II. sometimes i still put weight in my wrists in down dog. i am very focused on my alignment. to work on myself and to build confidence, i take classes 5 times a week, and yes, sometimes twice a day! i am loading myself with inspiration this spring/summer - with the yoga journal conference in nyc this year, to wanderlust VT this june and the beautiful experience bhaktifestis giving me this september.

but with all my classes and these amazing yogic festivals i am going to - how will i know when the time is right to stop being a student, and finally become a teacher? i love being a student. i learn something new everyday in class. but what about my tight hamstrings? or my tight hips? or that my gorilla arms need blocks when im in a low lunge? i get worried about teaching something so grand, that i dont quite have figured out just yet in my own practice.

so, my beautiful humans, how did you know it was YOUR time to become a teacher? please share with me! i am very close and patiently waiting my moment to come to me, and i sure hope it's when im in a juicy pyramid pose!


love & light,
m

No comments:

Post a Comment