Tuesday, April 19, 2011

self-love

the vegan asana has a great post today regarding self-love. i had a really not-one-of-my-greatest practices tonight as i am on day one of my moon cycle. very off-balance. cramps like mad. all during class negative thoughts were going through my mind... "i cant believe im the only one who cannot do a forearm side plank" "i hate that stupid birthmark on my leg that i stare at during my down dogs" "why can i have hair like hers?"

my teacher must have felt my negative energy bouncing off the walls, because as soon as class was over she hugged me and told me to go home, light a candle & listen to my cycle and my goddesses. i took a long shower. washed away the negativity. the ugliness i felt. lit some gorgeous nag champa incense and settled into bed, discovering this is the body i have. instantly, it hit home. these negative self-defeating thoughts are things i would slap a girlfriend for saying about herself! so why is it okay to tell myself things?

following advice, i came up with three good things about my body right now:

  1. my very strong shoulders. they lift heavy items, they support my neck and (the best part!) they are knot free! they hold me in a crazy straight shoulder stand. they carry my nieces for piggy back rides. i work hard on my shoulders and am just beginning to show them off - oh la la!
  2. my hair. tonight, i hated it. but tonight, someone complimented me on it. it's wild. it's curly. it's beautiful. it's hair that flies in the wind and keeps me warm. it's my lioness mane that allows me to channel my inner-leo!
  3. my skin. during my early teenage years i had some awful skin, but after a year of painful medications and dermatologist appointments i now have really awesome glowing skin! i dont even need to wash my face with products. it's all natural, baby!
now, it's your turn. follow suite and tell yourself three beautiful, amazing and worthwhile things about yourself. it's easy. it's there. our bodies are so amazing. they come in so many different shapes, sizes, colours, lengths and features. it's up to us, the rightful owner of this body, to accept it. to love it. and to embrace it!

hug yourself tonight. youre beautiful.
xo M

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that the post spoke to you. Some days we really need that reminder that, in the words of Buddha, "You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."

    ReplyDelete