Thursday, September 8, 2011

My love affair with the Lotus.

Tomorrow I start my fabulous (& some-what nervewrecking!) 200-hour teacher training journey at the eccentric and soulful Laughing Lotus located here in NYC.

Teacher training has always been a thought in the back of my mind, but with so many studios in the city, and so many brilliant teachers, I didn't just want to settle for a studio, without giving it my heart and soul. Afterall, this was going to be the foundation for growth, movement and where I find myself as a yoga student and eventually, a yoga teacher.

My love affair with the Lotus (as my best friend, G, and I call it) began last spring when I took advantage of their free classes in a nearby park. All I had to do was hear Dana Flynn's voice, and I knew I was hOMe. At this time, I was considering teacher training, but was not so confident with my practice, despite being accepted into ISHTA's 200-hour program, with the mindful Alan Finger. My heart wasn't in it. I wasn't excited. I was too nervous. So, I declined. I then thought about receiving certification from Reflections Yoga and the beautiful Paula Tursi, where I was working as a karmi yoga. But again, something held me back. All this time, I kept 'stalking' the Laughing Lotus website, in awe of their workshops, their devotional classes and their well-known teacher training program. But, that application? Intimidated me. Completely. I would attempt a question and shut down. No thank you. Too hard.

After losing my grandfather in December, I dove into my practice. I began practicing every day, sometimes twice a day. I found myself in my practice, a part of me I thought I had lost. Being part of a New Moon Women's Group, one new moon back in March, I manifested that I would apply to Laughing Lotus. It was on. The next day I purchased my first 30-class card, and began spending one day per question on their application. Eventually, the wisdOM grew, the answers came from my heart, my soul ripped open and my application was completed and it was bright and colorful.

I found myself in their shatki-soaked studio, growing, laughing, crying and finding my true self. Sure, I can't do every inversion, but I always give it a try. Which is what I had to do in this case, so, I submitted the application. I put more time and effort into that application then I had done with any college or grad school application, which is how I knew, yoga and I are meant to be.

It was at Wanderlust in VT, right before a Cosmic Class with Dana when I learned of my acceptance. The class following my acceptance is one I will never forget. It was a rainy week in VT, and in the middle of Dana's juicy class, the sun came out. Everyone cheered, some cried. Dana opened the doors and yogi's began practicing on the deck. Dana pumped up the jams, which ended with a group sing-a-long to Fleetwood Mac (for the record, they are my favourite band, and it was the jam Landslide) and a room filled with love. It was a sign, I truly had never felt more excited for an unknown journey, and never felt more at home then I had in that class.

When I told my current teachers about my journey, they could not have been more then supportive and excited. Just yesterday in Angelina's powerful class, she counted down the days until I begin this journey, and she continues to radiate more excitement then I could have ever expected. And not just Angelina, but to all my teachers, I thank you. For supporting me on this journey, for believing in me, and for gently pushing me into handstand when you know I need it. I forever bow to you. I am forever in debt to your love.

And Laughing Lotus - bring it on. I am ready. Eyes wide open. Heart set to a beginner. Let's start this wild ride!

Peace & om,
m

2 comments:

  1. i am so excited for your journey. you are just going to bloOM. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats! it sounds like you found your hOMe.. I too have been known to log onto the laughing lotus site and stare longingly at the photos, class schedules, and training.. next month i will be visiting the studio in SF and i know it's gonna be magical!

    Congrats again sunshine, i can't wait to "hear" about your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete