Friday, September 16, 2011

Yoga women, unite!


This past week I had the honor of seeing the NYC premiere of YogaWoman with my soul sister/best friend, Meg.

I remember seeing the trailer and my arm hairs flying up (which is the fancy way of me saying, I got chills and the tears were a streamin'!) I studied women's studies intensely in college (enough to minor in it) so naturally, women's issues are of my main concern. But then throw in yoga, my passion, on top of something I strongly believe in, I am sold.

This documentary, filmed by a sweet couple from Australia, focuses on the benefits of yoga for women - ranging from dealing with self esteem, raising a family, the woman's moon cycle, pregnancy and birth and yes, the good stuff - the power, strength and determination of women who practice yoga.

Throughout the film, which features interviews from some of the pioneer women teachers in yoga today, reminded me of this journey I am on. I am in teacher training right now to teach a practice that was only taught AND done by men, hundreds of years ago. I am gaining balance and muscle in my body, and I am not afraid to show my strength. I am taking my career in mental health counseling, and combining it with yoga, to one day work with individuals who have been abused, neglected or who are suffering. I am changing the world, one pose at a time.

During my first teacher training weekend a few weeks ago, we had the honor of getting to sit with Paige Elenson from the Africa Yoga Project and a dear teacher, Margaret, whom she bought to the states from Kenya. As we were discussing the future of her brilliant organization, she said this quote which really sat with me:
"Do I think yoga can change the world? No. But do I think YOGIS can change the world? Yes."


The one scene that really stuck with me, was seeing the strong and inspiring Seane Corn taking the cameras down to a community filled with HIV-infected woman. Seane, along with her team, had raised money to build a birthing center for these women, so they could have their children in safe conditions. As we saw the center being built, Seane became emotional while looking at it, amazed to her dream come into life. This strong woman, who honestly sometimes terrfies me during her classes and workshops, breaking down in tears, reminds me that as women, and as yogis, we have the power, the strength and the determination to change the world. We have the ability to take her passion, and to take it the slums of the world, and open another human beings heart and mind.

You can order your copy of YogaWoman here and also find information about hosting a screening in your local yoga studio or movie theatre. Jai Ma!

Blessings,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment